[bcbirdclub] Fw: [Va-bird] Goldfinch Nest

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:12:00 -0400

Hi All,
It looks like the Goldfinches have started nesting. For those of you who don't
know, Goldfinches are late nesters. They usually nest after the blooming of the
thistle plant. They use its soft down to line their nests.
They can be found nesting up into September. A few years ago Bob Riggs showed
me a nest in a Maple tree in September. The nest was next to the road just
below the Mendota fire tower very near the Russell County - Washington County
line here in VA. For the next couple of months you should see more male
Goldfinches at your feeders than you do females. The females will be on the
nest.