[bcbirdclub] Fw: TREE SWALLOWS

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:37:00 -0400

It looks like some of you, like Larry Pinson in KY, are getting Tree Swallows
already, but we haven't seen one yet here on the mountain. Lynda and I were in
Grundy and at Poplar Gap Park today to attend a meeting about the Coalfield
Folk Life Festival, and I kept looking for Tree Swallows and other early
migrants but didn't see any. On the way off the mountain this morning we did
see one of the Red-shouldered Hawks that is nesting nearby. I bet the Pine
Warblers and the Blue-headed Vireos are already on territory and singing in the
Breaks Park.

After the meeting we did get up to Keen Mountain where we have the Early White
Bluebird Trail. I replaced the box and the pole that was stolen last fall. I
checked the boxes and found the beginnings of nests in two of them. I still
have one more pole and box to replace at the golf course here on the mountain.
A bear destroyed one there last year.

I also found a completed Carolina Wren nest in one of our outbuildings. No eggs
yet.