[bcbirdclub] Fw: [TN-Bird] Re: Carolina Wren Building Nest in an Old Kitchen Cabinet Drawer.

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 00:23:05 -0500

Hi All,
Dee Thompson of Nashville is a nice lady and an avid birder. I thought you would enjoy this story she posted on TN Birds about a Carolina Wren.

When I was a little girl in Florida, we had one that built its nest in the
toolbox on the passenger side floorboard of Daddy's tractor. That bird rode
around, sitting on her eggs, while Daddy harrowed the fields.  Later  on,
during the second phase of harrowing the fields, the baby birds were in the nest and "Mama" would fly onto the moving tractor, feed her babies then go hunting
again.  She repeated this over and over while Daddy harrowed his  ten acre
watermelon field.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN

website: www.bcbirdclub.org