[bcbirdclub] Fw: A Swift Night Out 2011

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:07:53 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Driftwood Wildlife Association
To: rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:17 PM
Subject: A Swift Night Out 2011

Trouble viewing this email? Read it online

                 It is time for A Swift Night Out         August 2011!

                                Greetings!

                                For the 10th year, the Driftwood Wildlife
Association will be hosting:

                                "A SWIFT NIGHT OUT"

                                As summer draws to a close and the swifts have
finished raising their young, these fascinating aerial acrobats begin to
congregate in communal roosts prior to their migration in the fall. Some roosts
may consist of an extended family group of a half a dozen birds or so, but the
larger sites can host hundreds or even thousands of swifts! We encourage you to
involve your local Audubon chapters, bird clubs, scout groups and neighbors in
this exhilarating spectacle.

                                Here is how it works: Keep your eyes to the
skies at dusk and watch for areas where swifts are feeding. Look for a tall
shaft, chimney or similar structure to locate where Chimney Swifts (central to
east coast) or Vaux's Swift (Pacific coast) go to roost in your area.

                                On one night over the weekend of August 5, 6, 7
observe the roost starting about 30 minutes before dusk and estimate the number
of swifts that enter. When you have your number, contact us with your results
by responding to this email. That's all there is to it!

                                Please pass this message along to any listserve
or other groups that you think might be interested.

                                We look forward to hearing from you!

                                Best Regards,

                                Paul and Georgean Kyle

                                Driftwood Wildlife Association
                                1206 West 38th, Suite 1105
                                Austin, TX 78705

                                Visit us at:
                                www.ChimneySwifts.org

                                The September "A Swift Night Out!" will be on
September 9, 10, 11. Please join us for that event as well!

                                The latest issue (Volume 16) of our annual
newsletter "Chaetura" is now on line. There were many new towers added last
year, so go to the "Newsletter" link on our home page and check it out. Your
tower may be featured!

                                www.ChimneySwifts.org

                 Contact Us  Follow Us  Unsubscribe
                        Driftwood Wildlife Association
                        1206 West 38th, Suite 1105
                        Austin, TX 78705

                        DWA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        www.ChimneySwifts.org

                       You are subscribed to this mailing list as
rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxx Please click here to modify your message preferences or to
unsubscribe from any future mailings. We will respect all unsubscribe requests.