[bcbirdclub] Re: Fledglings

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Chuck Stiltner \(ls\)" <stiltner7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 22:09:41 -0400

Chuck and Others,
It's always enjoyable to see those young birds coming  to the feeders with the
adults. My wife Lynda and I have so many parent birds coming to get our suet
mixture (peanut butter and lard) for their young, they are consuming a whole
suet cake in one day. For those interested the complete suet mixture recipe can
be found on the BCBC web site at http://www.bcbirdclub.org/data/suet.htm  In
the last couple of years we have found that the refined lard,when used in the
recipe, does not remain solid on warm days. Unrefined lard is now hard to find.
To compensate we now buy the cheaper suet cakes, preferably when they are on
sale, melt them in the microwave and then add some of the recipe ingredients,
which stretches the each original cake to two. Those remain solid even in warm
weather unless the temperature gets into the 90's. Once the ingredients have
been added the birds will pass up an original suet cake from the store to
gobble up the one with the more tasty ingredients. We feed them year round.
It's really fun to see a Downy Woodpecker bring 4 or 5 young ones to the suet
cake and painstakingly get suet and feed each one in turn.