[bcbirdclub] First of the Season White-throated Sparrow

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:49:04 -0400

Hi All,
Back in April the last of the White-throated Sparrows that had spent last
winter here in the area left to go north. They went into the Northern U.S. and
Canada to build their nests and raise their young. Well, they have done that
and now they are back to spend another winter in our area. They had already
been seen in WV in the past week. Yesterday, Jim Phillips, the naturalist at
Pipestem State Park near Hinton, WV said he saw his first one there. Today one
showed up under our feeder here on Compton Mt. Attached is a photo of it with a
sunflower seed in its bill.

According to our database there have only been three other fall sightings
earlier than today's date (Oct 6). It would be interesting to see when the rest
of you get one near your feeders. When you do, please post it so we can see how
and when these birds spread out over the area.