[bcbirdclub] Re: First Eurasian-collared Dove in Buchanan County

  • From: Todd Perkins <bigun_75@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 23:33:53 -0400

Roger,

That is great news. Another species to certainly keep an eye out for more often
now.  I remember back when I was able to attend meetings regularly having
several conversations about the E.C. Doves.

Good Birding

Todd Perkins

From: rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx
To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bcbirdclub] First Eurasian-collared Dove in Buchanan County
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:07:01 -0400

Hi All,
Until today, to my knowledge, Eurasian-collared Doves had not been reported in
Buchanan County, but that changed when I looked out my glass dining-room door
and saw one sitting on the wooden block that holds my suet feeder. I
immediately noticed that it was larger and lighter in color than the resident
Mourning Doves. I then noticed the black "collar" on the back of the neck. The
bird was only a few feet from the platform feeder which held sunflower seeds,
but because there were three Mourning Doves feeding it seemed reticent about
flying there. After a few minutes of sitting in the drizzling rain it flew down
to the ground and began to feed there. It fed around the yard for about ten
minutes then left. I knew it was just a matter of time before one showed up in
the county since they has been found in surrounding areas, but I surely didn't
expect the first one to be in my yard. The species was reported in neighboring
Russell County to our south in April 2007.

Here is a photo.  More photos can be found at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/eura_col_dove

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/