[bcbirdclub] FW: eBird Report - Early White Bluebird Trail, Jul 21, 2013

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:37:43 -0400

Hello to all our RC & BCBC friends,

     Hope this finds all of you well.  Yesterday the family and I headed to the
Breaks for a picnic and a short hike.  We had a nice picnic but our hike was
abbreviated by the heat and humidity.  After leaving the Breaks we decided to
drive the spillway area at John Flannigan Dam.  The birds weren't very acitive
but we did manage a couple of noteworthy sightings.  They were, very good looks
at a perched Black Vulture and also a perched Red Shouldered Hawk that my wife
noticed very close to the highway at the entranced to the Garden Hole.   This
morning my daughter Alyssa and I checked the Bluebird boxes on the Early White
Trail.  While we were checking the last two boxes on the trail I noticed a
sparrow-like bird in the edge of a field.  I almost dismissed it as a song
sparrow without raising my binoculars.  I'm glad I didn't.  The bird was
slightly darker and had grayish coloring on it's back and also had a pale but
very noticeable yellow stripe over its eye.  After ruling out other
possiblities (and calling Roger when we got home), I decided that what we'd
seen was a Savannah Sparrow, which is a life bird for me. I kept a checklist of
what we saw this morning.  It follows this message.

Looking forward to seeing all of you soon,

The Owens family - Daryl, Angie, Alyssa and Emma

Dismal River,  VA