[bcbirdclub] FOS House Wren, Flicker/Starling Housing Dispute

  • From: "Sheri A. Hiter" <sherihiter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:32:37 -0400

We saw our FOS house wren this morning in our yard.

In other news, our yard is also the scene of bitter flicker/starling drama.
 On Friday, a pair of northern flickers began excavating a nest hole in a
dead pine in our yard.  All weekend, we watched them work tirelessly, with
sawdust flying.  By Monday, they had excavated a hole large enough that one
flicker could fit inside while working.  The starlings had been watching
the entire process intently, and as soon as the hole was big enough, they
decided to move in.  The flickers fought them off for a while, but now it
seems that the starlings have won.  They have been carrying nesting
material to the hole, which they now claim as their own.  We are
disappointed, as we were excited to watch Will and Kate Flicker raise a
family in our yard.  Does anyone have any suggestions to deter the
starlings and restore the flickers to their rightful hole?

[image: Inline image 1]

PNG image