[bcbirdclub] Elk Garden Birds

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:06:41 -0400

This afternoon, there were about 40 Canada Geese at the millpond in Elk
Garden.  There were about 15 there yesterday.  These are the only waterfowl
I've seen there this fall.  Of course, the Mud Hole is but a memory at this
point, but there was a pair of Red-tailed Hawks sitting in trees about 50
yards apart near that location.  A couple of years ago there was a
successful nest within a half mile of there.  Perhaps this is the same pair
and we'll have another nest to keep an eye on.

Stuart's Pond continues to be slow.  I have seen a Belted Kingfisher there
several times and a lone Mallard twice this week.

Jane & I will miss you guys on Sparrow Day but hope to see everyone at
Hinton.

Jerry