[bcbirdclub] Eastern Screech Owl

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:26:57 -0800 (PST)

During the years I have been birding I have looked at
many knotholes and cavities in trees and thought
"there is a good place for a Screech Owl to be
sitting."
This morning as I was birding on Kents Ridge Road I
stopped to look for sparrows in an overgrown field.
While scanning the trees at the edge of the field I
thought "Boy that sure looks like an owl in that hole.
Hey, that is a screech owl!
Sure enough, there was a gray morph Eastern Screech
Owl sitting in the hole.
Later, when Laverne went with me to see the owl it was
still sitting in the entrance. As I opened the truck
door to get a camera it awakened and appeared to take
the down elevator into the cavity. It just dropped out
of sight into the hole.
When I returned home form birding this morning there
were 2 Red-tailed Hawks crcling above our dvieway at
treetop level. One was much smaller than the other.
They were soaring close together. I watched them move
on together to the next ridge to the north.

Tom & Laverne Hunter