[bcbirdclub] Ducks and Other Birds

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bcbc/bird'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 16:16:39 -0500

Jane & I went to Tractor Supply this afternoon to replenish the bird food
supply.  On the way up, I noticed the field to the right just before Little
River was flooded.  Jane remarked that there were a lot of ducks in it.  On
the way back, we circled and took a look.  We found Canada Geese along with
Mallards, Ring-necked Ducks, Greater & Lesser Scaup, Redheads, Blue-winged
Teal, and Gadwalls.  There were easily 100+ ducks there.  When we turned off
19, we decided to check the Mud Hole area.  Shortly after turning onto Elk
Garden Road, we saw a large flock of Killdeer take flight.  Although the Mud
Hole itself was frozen over, the field beyond it over to the creek was
flooded and not frozen.  We found more Redheads and Ring-necked Ducks.  We
added Wood Duck, Northern Shoveler, and Northern Pintail to the duck list.
Returning to Route 80 to head home, we found 6 Wilson's Snipe, 4 Ring-billed
Gulls, and a solitary Solitary Sandpiper on the left just past the barn.
While we were out, we also had 2 Red-tailed Hawk, many Red-winged
Blackbirds, and an assortment of other songbirds.  Quite a nice trip in
spite of the awful weather.

Jerry