[bcbirdclub] Delaware Birding

  • From: Jerry Thornhill <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcbirds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 20:20:04 -0400

Jane & I have been in Dover, DE, the last two days. We came up to have a weekend with one of Jane's sisters and her husband. They are not birders, but they are kind enough to indulge us when we are together. In fact, Jane's brother-in-law picked Bombay Hook NWR as this year's destination. Bombay Hook is known for his wintering Snow Goose and other waterfowl. It's a little early for them although we did see some geese and several duck species. There were also hundreds of American Avocet and many Bald Eagles. The highlight of the trip came late this afternoon as we stopped to examine a large group of peeps in one of the impoundments. Just as we stopped, they suddenly took flight and left. I thought it was strange that a car stopping would spook them like that, and, sure enough, a Merlin flew across almost immediately. It's always nice to see this bird. As we started to pull away, Jane's sister said in an urgent voice, "Stop! Stop!" She directed our attention to a snag a couple of hundred yards ahead of us. Perched there was an adult Peregrine Falcon. We slowly drove closer and as we got closer the Merlin flew by again. I don't recall ever seeing these two falcons at the same time. What an experience!

Jerry
NCB/Social Birder
=========================================================== Mailing List For Buchanan County Bird Club
website: www.bcbirdclub.org