[bcbirdclub] Dead Screech Owl

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 12:51:21 -0500

Yesterday while driving just a few miles from home on Rt 638 near Whitewood, VA
Lynda and I found a red phase Eastern Screech Owl killed on the highway. We
don't see lots of screech owls in this area and it's too bad this one came to a
bad end. I have read that these small owls often come down to the highway
because motorists throw food from their cars and mice come for the food. The
owls, while hunting those mice, become victims.