[bcbirdclub] Daniel Boone Forest Hike - KY

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BCBC Listserve <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 08:47:11 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,
Michelle, Chazzy and I hiked along the ridge at S-Tree and up Horse Lick Creek
in Rockcastle County, KY yesterday. Birds were everywhere and we found twelve
species of warbler that included Cerulean, Worm-eating, Yellow-throated,
Redstart, Black-throated Green, Pine, Common Yellowthroat, Hooded, Blue-winged,
Black-and-white, Louisiana Waterthrush and Ovenbird. We missed the Kentucky
Warbler, Scarlet Tanager and Indigo Bunting - maybe next hike.  Raptors
included Red-tailed, Red-shouldered, Broad-winged, and Sharp-shinned Hawks.
Flowers carpeted the forest floor and insects were busy inspecting each one. It
was a great day to be out in nature.
Here is a link to our hike pictures for those interested:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/rock6
Ed Talbott
Richmond, KY