[bcbirdclub] Re: Cooper's Purple Finches and Mockingbird

  • From: Peggy Herbert <peggyfullmoon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 12:09:42 -0700 (PDT)

Good job Roger...I love where you live, too.  Thanks, Peggy

Roger Mayhorn <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:       Hi All,
 Today, while a friend was visiting and it was  raining we were looking out the
window at the feeders when a  small Cooper's Hawk came zipping in to chase the
birds around the cherry tree.  Later he (probably a male judging from the size)
came back again. It landed  in a tree near the feeders, then came down into the
grass. After a  few seconds it flew off into the woods. This time I got a
couple  of photos.

 Later a Mockingbird came in to feed on the ground  with the Towhees. This is
the first Mockingbird we have seen here on the  mountain in two years. I hope
it stays to nest. We also had our highest number  of Purple Finches all winter.
There were 10, both males and females on the  black oil sunflower platform
feeder.

 We also have about 12 cowbirds hogging the feeders.  One grackle was with them
today.

Access, No Cost.

JPEG image

JPEG image