[bcbirdclub] Cooper's Purple Finches and Mockingbird

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:28:55 -0400

Hi All,
Today, while a friend was visiting and it was raining we were looking out the
window at the feeders when a small Cooper's Hawk came zipping in to chase the
birds around the cherry tree. Later he (probably a male judging from the size)
came back again. It landed in a tree near the feeders, then came down into the
grass. After a few seconds it flew off into the woods. This time I got a couple
of photos.

Later a Mockingbird came in to feed on the ground with the Towhees. This is the
first Mockingbird we have seen here on the mountain in two years. I hope it
stays to nest. We also had our highest number of Purple Finches all winter.
There were 10, both males and females on the black oil sunflower platform
feeder.

We also have about 12 cowbirds hogging the feeders. One grackle was with them
today.

JPEG image

JPEG image