[bcbirdclub] Concern For Friends in Chile

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:34:52 -0500

Some of you in the bird club will remember George (Jorge) Sabag and his wife
Paula who live in Chile. Back in the early 80's George at age 16 had applied to
become an exchange student, and it was through an exchange program that I
picked George as an exchange student for our school, Grundy Senior High. George
spent a lot of time with us during his stay, and after he returned to Chile his
family invited Lynda and me for a visit. We did visit, and since then George
has returned several times to visit us. When he married Paula they came to New
York for their honeymoon then came to spend a few days with us while they were
in the states. On one of their visits they came with us to a bird club meeting
where we all assembled bluebird nest boxes. They have fond memories of that and
often ask about the bird club and its members.

George and Paula now have 4 beautiful daughters ranging in age from 10 to 3,
and Lynda and I send them birthday presents. George, following in his father's
footsteps has become a Chilean senator. We are now concerned with their safety
since hearing about the terrible earthquake in Chile. They live a couple of
hours from the city of Concepcion where a lot of the devastation occurred, but
George often stays in Concepcion when it is too late for him to return home.
Being involved with government both George and his father spend time in
Concepcion and in the capital city of Santiago. Both cities were hit hard and
we cannot get a call though to their home, which I suppose is to be expected. I
used to have to go through 4 or 5 Spanish speaking operators before I could get
a call through. We will have to wait to see how they have fared.