[bcbirdclub] Compton Mt Birding - Late Report

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 23:17:49 -0400

I finally got around to typing up the species list that Daryl Owens and I got
this past Friday. We had 53 species which were counted around my place, a few
species along Rt 639 going east around Compton Mt, then others at The Flat, an
area that a few years ago was a place used by a coal company, which has been
reclaimed and is now beginning to produce some good birding. We had a Barred
Owl fly into some trees near The Flat and stare at us for a few seconds before
flying to another tree and staring some more. Common Yellowthroats are using
the Autumn Olive bushes and small pine trees to sing from on The Flat. We heard
Field Sparrows and saw one adult with a fledgling following it. We also heard a
Yellow-breasted Chat there, but it wouldn't show itself. It will be interesting
to watch the progression of species using this area as the habitat changes from
grass to a weedy field, then to thickets and then small trees and  then larger
ones. Already some parts of it now support milkweed, goldenrod a few blackberry
canes and multiflora rose with a few white pines.

At my place we were pleasantly surprised to find a singing Cerulean Warbler on
the road going into our woods below the field, and shortly after we heard and
saw a Kentucky Warbler singing on territory there. A Kentucky has nested there
for the last couple of years. This morning I heard a Cerulean singing in the
trees in the neighbor's pasture. Early Friday morning before Daryl arrived
there was a male Baltimore Oriole singing near our backyard. The male has been
around for the past couple of weeks and is evidently nesting nearby. This is a
first for us to have a nesting pair of Baltimores ever on our property in 41
years. We have had Orchard Orioles only in the last few years but never
Baltimores.

53 species

Red-shouldered Hawk 1

Mourning Dove 2

Barred Owl 1 (near the Flat)

Belted Kingfisher 1 (Slate Creek)

Red-bellied Woodpecker 2

Downy Woodpecker 2

Hairy Woodpecker 1m

Northern Flicker 3 (2 at The Flat)

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Eastern Wood Pewee 1

Eastern Phoebe 4 (1 adult, 3 fledglings)

Great Crested Flycatcher 1

Yellow-throated Vireo 2

Red-eyed Vireo 8

Blue Jay 1

Purple Martin 6

Tree Swallow 2

Barn Swallow 2 ( 1gathering mud)

Carolina Chickadee 2 (1 at The Flat)

Tufted Titmouse 1

White-breasted Nuthatch 3

Carolina Wren 5 (2 at The Flat)

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2 (at The Flat)

Eastern Bluebird 6 (5m, 1f)

American Robin 12 (1 fledgling)

Wood Thrush 1

Gray Catbird 2

Brown Thrasher 6 (4 adult, 2 fledglings)

European Starling 25

Cedar Waxwing 2

Yellow Warbler 2m

Yellow-throated Warbler 3

Cerulean Warbler 1m

Black-and-white Warbler 2m

American Redstart 5 (2 at The Flat)

Ovenbird 4

Kentucky Warbler 1m

Common Yellowthroat 3m (at The Flat)

Hooded Warbler 11 (4 at The Flat)

Yellow-breasted Chat 1 (at The Flat)

Scarlet Tanager 4 (3m, 1f)

Chipping Sparrow 3

Field Sparrow 5 (4 adults, 1 fledgling at The Flat)

Song Sparrow 4

Eastern Towhee 8 (5m, 2f)

Northern Cardinal 4 (3m, 1f)

Indigo Bunting 8m

Red-winged Blackbird 1

Brown-headed Cowbird 2 (1m, 1f)

Baltimore Oriole 1 (singing on territory)

House Finch 1

American Goldfinch 1

House Sparrow 1