[bcbirdclub] Colorful Yard Visitors

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 22:40:53 -0400

Hi All,
Several bird species came into the yard today, some of them we hadn't seen
since last year. We started the morning with 5 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, 4 males
and a female at our feeders.

Next we had a male American Redstart and a male Yellow Warbler at the pond
stream at the same time. I managed to get a photo with both in it.

Not long after that I saw a male Baltimore Oriole, but he didn't stay long
enough for a photo. However, an immature male Orchard Oriole came in to feed on
one of our orange halves. Both orioles were firsts for this year.

Near the edge of the woods I could hear our first of the season White-eyed
Vireo. Also from the woods I could hear the clear, flute-like sounds of a Wood
Thrush, interspersed with the song of a Hooded Warbler. A Yellow Warbler was
singing in another direction.

For those interested photos of some of these yard visitors can be found at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/compton_mt_5_1_08