[bcbirdclub] Central Ohio Chapter Buchanan/Russell County Bird Club First 100

  • From: Bob Riggs <bob26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 22:01:14 -0500

Hi All
Annie and I woke up on New Years Day and decided we wanted to see if we could
see 100 bird species within a 100 miles before the end of January.  Our rules
were we had to clearly see the bird.  Id by songs or calls were not allowed
this meant we had to find the owls during the day light hours. We didn't make
the 100 species goal but were not disappointed with the species we have seen.
We had a blast and saw some fun birds.  In order of appearance the species are
listed below.

1 Red-tailed Hawk
2 European Starling
3 Turkey Vulture
4 American Crow
5 Rock Pigeon
6 Mourning Dove
7 Northern Cardinal
8 Horned Lark
9 Blue Jay
10 Canada Goose
11 American Kestrel
12 Dark-eyed Junco
13 American Bald Eagle, seen cross country skiing yes the eagles not us were
skiing !
14 American Goldfinch
15 Rough-legged Hawk
16 Evening Grosbeak -life bird for Annie.
17 Downy Woodpecker
18 Carolina Chickadee
19 American Robin
20 Tufted Titmouse
21 Carolina Wren
22 Red-bellied Woodpecker
23 Wild Turkey
24 Mallard
25 Ring-billed Gull
26 Song Sparrow
27 American Tree Sparrow
28 Eastern Meadowlark
29 Snow Bunting
30 Lapland Longspur
31 Cooper's Hawk
32 House Finch
33 House Sparrow
34 White-crowned Sparrow
35 Harris Sparrow
36 Great Blue Heron
37 Herring Gull
38 Hooded Merganser
39 Bonaparte's Gull
40 Common Goldeneye
41 Pied-billed Grebe
42 American Black Duck
43 Ruddy Duck
44 Canvasback
45 White-breasted Nuthatch
46 Northern Harrier
47 Barred Owl
48 Northern Flicker
49 Red-breasted Nuthatch
50 Yellow-rumpled Warbler
51 Eastern Towhee
52 White-throated Sparrow
53 Double-crested Cormorant
54 Merlin
55 Northern Mockingbird
56 Pine Siskin
57 Northern Shoveler
58 Gadwall
59 Red-shouldered Hawk
60 Eastern Bluebird
61 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
62 Pileated Woodpecker
63 Red-headed Woodpecker
64 Hairy Woodpecker
65 Trumpeter Swan
66 Common Grackle
67 Black Vulture
68 Lesser Scaup
69 Sharp-shinned Hawk
70 Bufflehead
71 Varied Thrush-life bird for us both at Michael and Naomi Yoder's feeder.
72 Black-capped Chickadee
73 Brown Creeper
74 Purple Finch
75 Red-breasted Nuthatch
76 Redhead
77 American Wigeon
78 Ring-necked Duck
That was all for January lots of fun great birding but not a hundred! So we
kept birding.  This weekend we added:
79 White-winged Crossbill
80 Eastern Screech Owl
81 Brown Thrasher yes in central Ohio in 19 degree weather coming to a park
feeder.
82 Northern Shrike trying to capture a Blue Jay.
83 Short-eared Owl perched and hunting in bright daylight.
84 Long-eared Owl found by the Blue Jays for us to see.

Still looking for the first 100 in 2013.
We do know where a Varied Thrush and Harris Sparrow is coming to a feeder if
anyone is interested.
Good Birding to you!
Bob & Annie

List For Buchanan County Bird Club