[bcbirdclub] Carnivorous Chipmunk Behavior

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 00:03:02 -0400

This morning Lynda and I were watching a family of chipmunks playing along our
yard stream when I saw an adult chipmunk eating something unusual. With
binoculars I could tell it was eating what was possibly a small vole or mole. I
apologize for the photo quality.

 The chipmunk then picked up the rest of the rodent and started to carry it
off. It paused long enough for this shot.

It then disappeared into the rocks with its meal. I was aware that chipmunks
would sometimes eat bird eggs, and sometimes baby birds. There are You Tube
videos showing chipmunks eating baby robins and baby mice. I tend to agree with
Don Carrier that this may be a nursing female who needs protein to create milk
for her 4 youngsters.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image