[bcbirdclub] Cape May & more

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 17:04:01 -0400

Returned home Sunday evening & was greeted by a very high pitched warbler song.
I wasn't sure whose voice it was but fortunately located the beautiful male
Cape May Warbler in the Norway Spruce in our backyard. I thought this was very
appropriate , since this Spruce is called Haley's tree by our family, in
recognition of our daughter's first Christmas some 23 years ago. You see, Haley
just graduated from college on the 3rd so I consider this bird as a sort of
graduation gift! He's still with us today. I checked the wetland area in the
head of Cowfork today & found a lot of activity. Highlights included Wood
Thrush, Ovenbird, Bl & wh Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, B-T-Green
Warbler,Hairy Wp, & a Titmouse carrying food. We still have Wh-th Sparrows at
the feeders and singing Field Sparrows & Blue-winged Warbler in the over-grown
pasture behind our home. Field Sparrows used to nest here but have become
uncommon in recent years. Sure hope they stick around. Dave R/Breaks,VA