[bcbirdclub] Cape May & Shorebirds

  • From: "David and Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 07:36:37 -0400

While doing a little yard pond maintenance yesterday morning Holden & I heard
the high-pitched notes of a warbler's song coming from the nearby evergreen
trees. We were soon graced with good looks at a beautiful male Cape May warbler
as it searched for food.
Susan came in from work, handing me her keys saying, "you need to go look at
waterfowl at Willowbrook". I rushed around to the country club to find the
ducks had flown but several shorebirds were using the temporary ponding left
from the heavy rain of the previous day. A Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser
Yellowlegs, 2 Pectoral Sandpipers & a Spotted Sandpiper were feeding in the
water on the fairway nearest the highway. Not too shabby for our "neck of the
woods".
DaveR/Breaks