[bcbirdclub] Caney Island Branch - West of Grundy

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:16:49 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,

  Michelle and I made a quick hike up Caney Island Branch after school today.
We knew it was going to be a good day when the Yellow Warbler that was singing
in our yard chased another warbler out of the tree towards us.  Michelle and I
were rewarded with good looks at a Nashville Warbler in the trees next to our
driveway - a new yard bird for us.  We ran into several small groups of birds
as we hiked out Caney Island Branch.  First of season (FOS) birds for us
included Northern Parula, Blue-winged Warbler, Wood Thrush, and White-eyed and
Red-eyed Vireo.  The Hooded and Scarlet Tanager were FOS birds for me. I
thought I heard an Ovenbird at one point but it did not sing again.  A
Red-tailed Hawk was spotted soaring over the ridge.  Here's a list of spring
migrants we spotted.

  Yellow Warbler - 1
  Nashville Warbler - 1
  Blue-winged Warbler - 1
  Yellow-throated Warbler - 2
  Black-and-white Warbler - 8
  Northern Parula - 2
  Hooded Warbler - 4
  Black-throated Green Warbler - 4

  Red-eyed Vireo - 1
  White-eyed Vireo - 1
  Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 4
  Scarlet Tanager - 2
  Wood Thrush - at least 6 or so singing at dusk as we walked out of the hollow

  It was great day to be out in nature.  Too bad I'll be stuck indoors for the
next two night getting ready for another pharmacy test on Friday.

  Ed Talbott

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.