[bcbirdclub] Canada Goose on Slate Creek and More

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 22:19:52 -0400

Three things to report. This morning as Lynda and I were traveling toward
Grundy on Slate Creek, Rt 83, we saw a Canada Goose in the creek just below the
bridge at the mouth of Enoch's Branch.  Canada Geese are uncommon finds in the
county. Also this one appeared much smaller than normal so it may have been one
of the subspecies. At the time I didn't have time to stop and study it.

The second event took place this morning as I was in the middle of the
raspberry patch picking the berries you see here. That patch of berries has
bushes just behind it. I caught  a glimpse of something small and dark coming
very fast toward me from my left. Before I had time to react a bird, probably a
catbird or a robin went whizzing past the back of my head so closely I could
actually feel the air from its wings on the back of my neck. I had on a straw
hat so it had to have passed under the brim of the hat. I think its intention
was to pass through an opening in the bushes and didn't realize I was there
until it had nearly gotten by me. It went so fast I didn't have time to turn
and see for sure what it was as it streaked across the yard. I thought for a
second that I was being attacked by an angry parent bird near a nest, but it
didn't return so that theory was blown. Interesting event.
By the way, I have already picked 2 1/2 gallons of these Black Raspberries.
Delicious raspberry jam on warm biscuits when the snow flies next winter.

The third item is a pair of catbirds that are nesting in the Crepe Myrtle bush
to the left of the yard pond. The male often sings from the Crepe Myrtle bush
or from the Birch tree over the pond. The odd thing is that the bird will often
repeat a three syllable call over and over that sounds very much like it's
saying "widgie poo". It also does a very good imitation of a Phoebe. Catbirds
often nest here, but I've never heard one do the "widgie poo" call before. The
first time I heard it I had to actually see the bird making the call before I
was convinced that the catbird was the source of the sound.