[bcbirdclub] Busy Feeder Birds

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 23:33:18 -0400

We had 19 species around our feeders today. One of the highlights of the day
was the sight of 15 Purple Finches on and under the feeder at the same time.
The other highlight was seeing 5 Common Grackles come flying in and put the
Blue Jays, that had been harassing the smaller birds, off the feeder.
A Brown Thrasher is still here. Not sure if it is one of those that nested here
this summer, but it has only been a few times over the years that we have seen
them during the late fall and winter. A female Hairy Woodpecker that has been
coming to the feeder for a year was back today. (At least I think it's the same
one since we don't often get Hairys at the feeder and its always a female.)
The day's list is below the photo.

This is a photo of the Purple Finches at the feeder. I count 13 Purple Finches,
2 House Finches (the one on the far left is a male House Finch and so is the
grayish looking one with the pink looking throat just left of center), one
Goldfinch (in back), one male Cardinal, one Chickadee (on right end of feeder)
and one Titmouse ( in the air).

19 species

Mourning Dove 3

Red-bellied Woodpecker 2 (1m, 1f)