[bcbirdclub] Buchanan County 2009 CBC Results

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 00:12:34 -0500

Hi All,
The second year of our Buchanan County Christmas Bird Count was scheduled to
take place on Saturday, December 19. Unfortunately, the big snowstorm moved in
on the 18th, so I rescheduled the CBC for Saturday, Jan 2nd. At the first of
that week the weather was beginning to look bad for Saturday, so I called those
who had planned to help with the CBC to see if they wanted to try to do it on
Thursday, Dec 31st, the only clear day without more snow in the forecast. Those
birders who were able to, did. On Thursday Don Carrier, Tom Hunter, David
Raines and I went out to bird as much of our 15 mile count circle as we could.
My wife, Lynda, stayed home and did the count at our feeders, which were also
within the circle. On Wednesday night it began to snow. Fortunately, after
midnight the snow changed to rain on our mountain and some of the fallen snow
began to melt.

By the end of the day on Thursday, in spite of the conditions we had managed to
log 35 species (639 birds), which was a significant drop from our count of 56
species (2903 birds) last year. The drop in numbers was due in part to snow on
some roads, rainy weather conditions and fewer birders in the field than last
year. Our most sincere thanks to those who were able to particpate and our
thanks also to Eddie Farmer, Marie Miller, Travis and Kim Ratliff, Bob Riggs,
Mike Sanders, and Jerry and Jane Thornhill, all of whom had planned to help,
but due to the rescheduling on such short notice were not able to. A very great
thanks also to Tom Hunter for taking on the job of compiler, for compiling the
list and posting it to the Audubon CBC web site.

Thanks also to Lynda for the great Santa Fe Soup that she had waiting for some
of us when we returned from birding that evening.

Following is the complete species list for the 2009 CBC. No new species were
added this year.

(35 species - 639 birds)

Great Blue Heron 2

Mallard 6