[bcbirdclub] Re: [Bristol-Birds] Henslow's Sparrow Hampton Creek Cove

  • From: rdwbl98@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: hawk036@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 21:10:03 -0400 (EDT)

We had a great day birding at Carvers Gap & Hampton Creek Cove. From the list below, with a lot of help from Mike, I was able to add 15 life birds! I also learned learned a lot today. Mike was full of a good information concerning location, elevation, climate, season, migration, vegetation, not to mention the birds.

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Mike Sanders wrote:

Went to several places today. Lists are below. The highlight was a Henslow's Sparrow. As we were walking down the gravel road leading out of Hampton Creek Cove a bird flushed from the edge of the road in some weeds right beside my foot The bird flew to a perch on a part of the old house and then retreated to the ground on the other side. Attempts to relocate the bird were unsuccessful. The constant barking from the local hounds didn't help in out attempts. Any thoughs on the early date would be appreciated as the current possible date listed in Rick Knights book is Oct 2 - 29.
Carvers Gap

Present-Roger Lemaster

Black & White Warbler-2
Chestnut-sided Warbler-3
Tennessee Warbler-4
Cape-may Warbler-4
Blackburnian Warbler-1
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Rose-breasted grosbeak -2
Scarlet Tanager
Red-tail Hawk
Black-throated Blue Warbler-3
Black-throated Green Warbler-2
Blue-headed Vireo-2
Nashville Warbler
Merlin
Sharp-shinned hawk
Golden crowned kinglet -2

NC Side near rhododendron gardens
Northern Harrier
Merlin
Blackburnian Warbler-2
Tennessee Warbler-4
Robin-3

Picnic shelter

Redtail -2
Empidonax Sp.

Hampton Creek Cove

Henslow's Sparrow
Pine Siskin

Michael Sanders
Bristol, VA

Sent from my iPhone*************************************************
       BRISTOL BIRDS NET LIST

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE

http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID�eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

and Northeast Tennessee.
Buchanan County Bird Club