[bcbirdclub] Breaks Pk. & John Flannigan Dam

  • From: daryl.owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Buchanan County' <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 20:27:58 -0500

     As I had already posted I earlier I birded Breaks Interstate Park where I
was privileged to see the Eagle.  I also saw two Red-shouldered Hawks, a
Red-tailed Hawk and our usual winter birds.  After leaving the park I decided
to try John Flannigan Dam for waterfowl.  There I found two Horned Grebes a
Pied-billed and a raft of Greater Scaup which swam to within forty feet of me.
After closer inspection I noticed that one of the ducks had more black on its
back.  After consulting my field guide I realized it was a Ring-necked Duck.
It was a short birding day but it was good to be outdoors.

Daryl