[bcbirdclub] Breaks Park-Laurel Lake

  • From: "David and Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 10:24:25 -0400

My parents & I enjoyed a walk in the park yesterday afternoon. As we walked &
enjoyed the fall colors always searching for birds, Dad reminded us of where he
was 68 years ago on Oct. 14th. He reminded us that he spent that afternoon so
long ago, hiding in a briar patch after bailing out of their dying B-17 bomber
over Germany. As I understand it, that day became known, to the Allies, as
Black Thursday due to the heaviest losses ever endured in an air-battle during
the war. But, I digress, yesterday the birds were scarce during our walk until
Dad & I walked down to the Lake. There we found a record #, for me at least, of
Pied-billed Grebe (8) for little Laurel Lake & 5 Wood Ducks as well. Thanks to
Dad & the thousands like him who secured our freedoms to enjoy our state parks
& all the other pursuits of our great nation.

Enjoy them all,
DaveR/Breaks,VA