[bcbirdclub] Breaks Park birding

  • From: "David and Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 07:19:15 -0400

I led a bird walk for the Breaks Park on Saturday morning. It turned out to be
one of those special mornings when wild birds seem to cooperate by allowing
themselves to be seen easily. We had great looks at Hooded Warbler,
Black&White, Ovenbird & even Swainson's Warbler. At the Towers Overlook a
gorgeous male Scarlet Tanager sang from the top of a dead tree. Wood Thrushes
remained hidden but serenaded us throughout the morning. From the overlook, we
had an unexpected view of a pair of Osprey circling overhead. Both Turkey &
Black Vulture were spotted during the morning as well as Chimney Swifts, Tree
Swallows & R-th Hummingbirds. Red-eyed Vireos are plentiful in the park &
Blue-headed Vireos are common but we couldn't locate any Yellow-throated Vireo.
Another concern, was our failure to find an Acadian Flycatcher. We even tried
the intersection of the Cold Spring & Laurel Branch Trails(a traditional
hotspot for Acadians) with no success. Northern Parula, Black-throated Green &
Blackburnian Warblers were heard but not seen.
Enjoy the birds,DaveR/Breaks