[bcbirdclub] Breaks Park Warblers - April 4, 2009

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 11:38:58 -0700 (PDT)

Area Birders,

Michelle, Chazzy, and I birded the Breaks Park today.  The migrants are
returning to the mountains of SW Virginia.  At our first stop, the Towers
overlook, we heard a Black-and-white Warbler as well as two Black-throated
Green Warblers in the gorge.  Blue-headed Vireos were heard singing all over
the park.  Along the Geological Trail we saw a trio of Black-throated Green
Warblers - all chasing each other in the treetops..  At Laurel Lake we heard a
distant Yellow-throated Warbler - somewhere up near the Visitor's Center - but
could not relocate the bird after driving up there.  While having lunch we saw
a distant raptor that could have been a Broad-winged Hawk but we were not
sure.  Michelle found probably the best bird of the day when she located a
Red-breasted Nuthatch at the Towers Overlook parking lot.  It was a great day
of spring birding and the best is yet to come.  For those interested, here is a
link to some of our hike pictures:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/breaks17

Ed and Michelle Talbott
Grundy, VA