[bcbirdclub] Re: Breaks Park Birding

  • From: Daniel Kendrick <kendridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Roger Mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan county bird club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 09:55:36 -0400

Roger,
I miss those times in the park with you guys. I'm looking forward to a trip
there in the next year. Yesterday I took a brief stop at
 the reservoir here in Ivins. I was excited to see my FOS American Avocets, a
flock of 15. There was also a Double-crested Cormorant.
Last Saturday, our Red Cliffs Audubon group had our annual field trip about an
hour north to see an impressive leek of Greater Sage Grouse, a species
apparently losing a battle of appropriate habitat. The biologist that
accompanied us, told us they were doing quite well however, in that small niche
near Enos, Utah. Other birds of interest were Prairie Falcon, Sage Sparrow,
Rock and Canyon Wren, Rough-legged Hawk and Ferruginous Hawk.
Dan Kendrick
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 04:49:07 -0400
From: rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx
To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bcbirdclub] Breaks Park Birding

Yesterday, on a marvelous spring day, Daryl Owens, David Raines and I, Roger
Mayhorn, spent a few hours in the Breaks Park in hopes of finding some early
spring migrants. We thought we might find a Blue-headed Vireo, usually the
earliest passerine migrant that arrives in the park, but evidently we were a
few days early. We did find the female Bufflehead on Laurel Lake that David
Raines had discovered the day before.

The highlight of the day came later when Daryl Owens spotted two Brown Creepers
in the same tree on the road leading down to the Garden Hole. It is not often
that we get to see these elusive little fellows, and it was even more enjoyable
to get to see two together.

Below is the day's complete species list.

Bufflehead 1f - Laurel Lake
Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 14 - Stateline Overlook
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 - Beaver Pond
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Blue Jay 1
Common Raven 1 carrying food - Stateline Overlook
Carolina Chickadee 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Brown Creeper 2 - Garden Hole road
American Robin 3