[bcbirdclub] Breaks Park - Beaver Knob List

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 23:54:45 -0400

Hi All,
Here is the list of birds for Saturday. Sorry I didn't get it posted sooner,
but I was rather busy today. As far as the number of species recorded this may
be one of our best days with 82 species, if I counted right, and if you include
the Bobwhite, which is probably a pen raised bird.

Ten of us birded the Breaks Park until lunch. After lunch we drove over to
Beaver Knob near Elkhorn City, KY. Beaver Knob is one of the few places in the
immediate area where Blue Grosbeaks and Grasshopper Sparrows can be found. We
found both.

Don Carrier and David Raines then did a little birding at David's House, and at
his neighbor's, Ed Bailey's. There they found the Bobwhite that came to Ed's
place, and evidently has decided to stay.

Those participating in the day's birding were Don Carrier, Richard Kretz, Roger
& Lynda Mayhorn, David Raines, Johnnie & Betty Ratliff, Ed & Michelle Talbott,
Sheldon Woods. If you haven't seen Ed and Michelle's photos taken Saturday, you
should take a look at http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/bcbcbreaks They have some
good ones.

82 Species Total

Breaks Park
American Crow 4

American Goldfinch 1

American Robin 8

Baltimore Oriole 1(f)

Blackburnian Warbler 3m

Black-and-white Warbler 10 (1f)

Black-throated Green Warbler 4

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1

Blue-headed Vireo 2

Blue Jay 4 (1 on nest with 2 eggs and 1 nestling)

Broad-winged Hawk 2

Cape May Warbler 1

Carolina Chickadee 2

Cedar Waxwing 3