[bcbirdclub] Breaks Birding - VSO State Park Foray Day #1

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 19:33:05 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,

Michelle, Chazzy, and I spent the morning hiking down to the Russell Fork River
in the Breaks Gorge. We were counting birds along the way for the 2007 VSO
State Park Foray which started today.  VSO members hope to cover every state
park in the state of Virginia over the next 9 days and several BCBC members
will be birding different areas of the Breaks over the next week. Best birds of
our hike included 4 Swainson's Warblers (actually got to see one!), 20 Hooded
Warblers, and 14 Black-and-white Warblers. It was a great way to start the
weekend.

  The River Trail is a beautiful trail but the way is rocky with steep decents
and ascents.  Also Poison Ivy and Stinging Nettle have grown next to the trail
in several areas (this trail probably does not get a lot of use) so wear long
pants.  For those interested, here are some pictures from the hike:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/breaks8

Ed and Michelle  (and Chazzy!)

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on,
when.