[bcbirdclub] Re: Blackford CBC

  • From: <bob26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Buchanan County Bird Club' <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 11:03:20 -0500

Wow 20 years how time flies. What really impresses me is the fantastic group
of people who gather each year to conduct the count. Thanks to each and
everyone of you for the dedication and exciting moments. Each one special like
arriving at Jane & Jerry's house and Jerry showing the Say's Phoebe pictures
that was exciting! From the first to this year there always seems to be a fun
species. Dave Worley had Black Capped Chickadees at his feeders the first
year. I remember the second year standing in the road at Corn Valley way
before daylight with Tom Hunter owling and Tom saying;"I hear a Long-eared Owl"
I was jumping up and down as the Long-eared Owl called in the dark; Tom had
worked his magic!

Bob Bebirding
Pataskala, OH
---- Jerry Thornhill <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've attached a report on this year's CBC giving some of the highlights. We
found 65 species, slightly above the 20 year average of 63.6, with 5466
birds which is above the average of 4063. The big news was Laverne Hunter's
spot of a Say's Phoebe while Bob and Annie Riggs found Horned Grebe and
Redhead for only the second time in count history. Bald Eagles (6) and
Red-tailed Hawks (39) enjoyed record years.

An Excel spreadsheet with all 20 years of data can be found on the club web
site at www.rcbirds.org.

Jerry Thornhill