[bcbirdclub] Black-chinned Hummingbird at Claytor Lake

  • From: Herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
  • To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NRVBirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:48:05 EST

Greetings,
                 On November 8th at around 12:00 -noon- I was adding to &
rearranging my feeder stations in my yard, I went back inside to get an
indoor  perspective on the new arrangement from my regular viewing area.
Suddenly - I  saw a Hummer hovering around the small dogwood tree which I had
just
taken a  hummingbird feeder down from !  My binocs were handy and I viewed
the bird  for a short period of time before it flew away.
                 I immediately noticed that this hummingbird had a fully
colored gorget (  which made it an adult male), this quickened my pulse a bit
more!  I went  outside & put the feeder back in its original location in the
dogwood. The  Hummer returned in about 10 minutes, landed, & fed from that
feeder.
                 I  thought it might be a late adult male Ruby-throated,
but after further  inspection it proved to be an  ADULT  MALE  BLACK - CHINNED
 HUMMINGBIRD ! ! !   According to the VA "Goldbook" this species  has only
been reported 4 times in the Commonwealth & only 2 of those  were confirmed
by VARCOM.
                 All  have been seen & or reported from the coastal region
of the state, none of  which were adult males.  This may very well be a
regional record for  an "Adult Male" of this species !

 This beautiful little gem was here for 3 days & has not returned  to my
feeders - BOLO - Be on the look out - He just might show up in  your yard soon
!

Good Birding
Mark Mullins
Claytor lake, Va