[bcbirdclub] Blackbird Invasion

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 22:39:10 -0500

We were suddenly, and without warning, invaded about midday by blackbirds.
There were 67 Red-wings, 47 Common Grackles and 7 Rusty Blackbirds.
They stayed around for about an hour, taking to the air at the slightest
disturbance, then returning within minutes to gobble up the sunflower seed in
and under the feeders.
Lynda heard a hawk calling in the backyard and we found a Red-shoulderd Hawk
sitting in the top of the walnut tree calling repeatedly. I could hear another
Red-shouldered calling back in the distance. During this the blackbirds left
and didn't return.

Here are a couple of photos. These were only a few of the flock.

Here they are taking to the air

JPEG image

JPEG image