[bcbirdclub] Re: Birds and Snow

  • From: GaryPoteat@xxxxxxx
  • To: rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx, bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 23:42:21 -0500 (EST)

Now that is a winter wonderland, enjoyed those Roger.
Gary Poteat
Forest City NC

In a message dated 12/5/2010 8:49:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Like Tom and Laverne we had quite a few  birds at the feeders today. We had
7 inches of snow so the birds were  having a hard time finding food. Common
Grackles were the most numerous with  29. There were 27 Goldfinches, 17
Red-wings, 15 Cardinals and 5  Rusty blackbirds. Two Fox Sparrows came to feed
just  after daylight. Twice during the day a Cooper's Hawk sent the  birds
diving for cover. I never saw it connect with a bird, but once it  flew at
eye level by the kitchen window and the dining room door, only a  few feet
away. I ended the day with 23 species.
I have attached 3 photos of the day.