[bcbirdclub] Birds, Butterflies and a Snake in the Grass

  • From: wdunson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wad4@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 14:45:30 +0000 (UTC)

I am writing this in early December in Florida after a period of rains and some
cool fronts. To attract butterflies you must provide flowers for nectar and
larval food plants. No sooner had we planted a Mexican milkweed than a queen
and three monarchs showed up. This was a good chance to compare the colors and
patterns of these two toxic Muellerian mimics. Black and yellow Zebra
butterflies were also flying nearby; their toxicity comes from consumption of
poisonous passionvines by the caterpillars. The evolutionary warfare between
predator and prey has certainly given us some beautiful butterflies!

The best way to attract the spectacular and rapidly flying sulphur butterflies
is to plant the larval food plant, sennas/cassias. At Wildflower Preserve there
was one senna with a considerable number of large cloudless sulphur
caterpillars on the flowers. Note how well they are camouflaged when they are
in the flowers; the bands are disruptive of their body shape and the yellow
blends with the background. We had recently planted a senna in our yard which
attracted a female orange barred sulphur which appeared to be laying eggs. So
we are hoping for a crop of little ones soon.

While walking at South Venice Lemon Bay Preserve with a native plant group, one
sharp eyed member sighted a real snake in the grass. It was a tiny ringneck
snake with its namesake necklace and a beautiful reddish abdomen. It coiled its
tail and displayed the red underneath in an apparent defensive display. I am
not aware of these tiny snakes being distasteful to predatory birds but this
behavior certainly suggests that they are.

Our yard is quite a haven for birds due to our extensive plantings and a prime
location on Manasota Key with the Gulf of Mexico to the west and Lemon Bay to
the east. I sighted an anhinga near our dock which is an unusual occurrence
since they are primarily a freshwater bird. They apparently lack the nasal salt
gland that allows marine birds to drink sea water; in salt water their
ecological niche (a diver that swims after fish underwater) is occupied by the
cormorant. Another example of this phenomenon is the yellow crowned night heron
in salt water and the black crowned in fresh water along this coast. Royal
terns in salt water and Caspian terns in fresh water also generally fit this
model.

Avian winter residents/migrants are starting to become more evident in our
yard, especially if you provide a water drip to attract them. Thus we were
excited to observe blue headed vireos, yellow throated warblers and house
finches coming to drink and bathe this week. Close-up views of these birds can
reveal amazing details which are not usually visible through binoculars. The
white eye ring of the blue headed vireo is especially striking since many
animals have dark eye lines that camouflage the eye itself. We see male house
finches that are reddish or yellowish (supposedly a SW US trait) but this
individual had a mixture of both colors. The striking yellow throated warbler
is somewhat unusual in that the males and females have very similar plumages
and are very partial to feeding in palm trees in Florida or in evergreen trees
or trees along rivers up north. But they are often so high in the trees that
our views at ground level are wonderful.

So wherever your home range is you will now be experiencing some major changes
in the fauna of your area. Enjoy the challenges and rewards of identifying and
studying the critters under fall and winter conditions.

Bill Dunson
Englewood, FL and Galax, VA
http://lemonbayconservancy.org/news-blog/nature-notes-by-bill-dunson/