[bcbirdclub] Birding the Breaks Park

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "A Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:40:01 -0400

Five BCBC club members braved the bad weather today to search for more spring
migrants in the Breaks Park. The forecast looked so bad that we had decided to
just have breakfast in the park restaurant and possibly call it a day, but we
were lucky to catch a break in the weather. The rain quit just as we finished
breakfast and except for a few sprinkles we had a nearly rain free morning. A
Ruffed Grouse was sighted inside the park not far from the park entrance. We
found Black-and-white Warblers, Black-throated Green Warblers, Louisiana
Waterthrushes and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. The spot on the road going down to
the Garden Hole where Camp Creek crosses the road was a hot spot.
We also found both Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglet species and four
woodpecker species: Pileated, Northern Flicker, Red-bellied and Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker. Northern Rough-winged Swallows, a Tree Swallow and a Barn Swallow
were at Laurel Lake within the park. A Pied-billed Grebe was on the lake in the
company of 6 Wood Ducks. Below is the day's complete list.
Those on the outing were Don and Dawn Carrier, Roger & Lynda Mayhorn and David
Raines.

31 species

American Robin 4

Barn Swallow 1