[bcbirdclub] Birding Trip to Magee Marsh in May

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 11:06:01 -0500

Members of the Buchanan County Bird Club are traveling to Northern Ohio, Ottawa
County, which borders Lake Erie, to see the spring bird migration. We will be
staying from Wednesday, May 14 through Sunday May 18. For anyone interested in
going we will be staying at the Quality Inn in the small town of Port Clinton
at 1723 East Perry St. The number there is 419 732-2929.  Wednesday, the 14th
is the last day of the Magee Birding Festival so fewer rooms are available on
that day, but on Thursday, the 15th, the number of available rooms jumps
dramatically.

The Quality Inn is about 20 minutes west of the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge
which includes Magee Marsh, one of the best birding places in the country.
Members of our group have been going there for several years and we have never
been disappointed. Migrating warblers and other song birds in spring plumage
abound and are very close as we walk along the two miles of boardwalk out into
the marsh. Waterfowl and wading birds are plentiful, and Bald Eagles can be
seen nesting in the area.

Come join us for great birding at a wonderful time of year.
One important note. Since this area is so far north, this time in May is about
equal to our mid April as far as the weather is concerned. The wind coming off
the lake can be cool. Bring a jacket or sweat shirt.

Roger Mayhorn
Buchanan County Bird Club