[bcbirdclub] Birding Hinton WV Saturday

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 21:42:12 -0500

This Saturday, November 14, members of the BCBC will be traveling to Hinton
WV on the New River to bird the area with members of the Bibbee Nature Club
of Bluefield. We will be meeting the Bibbee club members just after
crossing the Lily Bridge just below Hinton around 9:00 a.m. For those who
want to caravan to Hinton some of us can meet at the Walmart at Claypool
Hill at 7:15. We will be leaving that location by 7:30. If you plan to
caravan with us please let me know, so we will be sure to meet you at
Walmart. If I don't get any messages concerning meeting at Walmart we will
not stop there but continue on to Hinton.

We always have a great day of birding on this outing. We usually get
waterfowl above and below the Bluestone Dam and downstream along the New
River to Sandstone Falls. We also see Bald Eagles and sometimes Golden
Eagles. We bird nearby Mountain Valley Lake which is always a hotspot for
waterfowl. We have lunch at the Dairy Queen in Hinton where part of the
restaurant projects out over the New River. It's large glass windows allow
for great views both up and down the river. We keep our binoculars at hand
while we eat to watch waterfowl feeding close by, and to see the Great Blue
Herons winging their way up and down the river.

Join us for a great day of birding with really nice birders from the Bibbee
Club. Dress warmly. The morning temperatures Saturday may be in the upper
20's, and the highs for the day may be in the mid 40's.

Roger Mayhorn - BCBC President