[bcbirdclub] Birding Greene County TN

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:57:32 -0500

Hi All,
On Monday Don and Christian Carrier took David Raines and me on a day of
birding in western Greene County TN. It was cold in the morning but warmed up
later in the day. We had 31 species. I couldn't believe the numbers of Savannah
Sparrows, Field Sparrows, Eastern Meadowlarks and Northern Harriers that we
saw. The area we were in was great sparrow and Harrier habitat. We also got a
few Red-tailed Hawks, several Kestrels and a Merlin.
Our thanks to Don and Christian. It was a great day to be out, and the birds
were really active.

And of course you saw the photo that Don took that day of the pigeon sitting on
the plastic owl in Bristol. I don't think plastic owls are proving to be much
of a deterrent to Rock Pigeons and Starlings.