[bcbirdclub] Barred Owl - life bird

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 20:13:33 -0400

     I was on my way to Norton this morning and saw a Barred Owl (life bird)
just west of Lover's Gap on Rte. 83.  It was perched on a limb that almost hung
out over the highway.  I passed him up the at first as it didn't really
register what I'd seen.  I then turned around and went back hoping it might
still be there when I got back.  Luckily, he was still there and sat still
looking at me while I sat in the middle of the highway.  After about 15-20
seconds he flew across the road but still well within viewing distance.  I
could have sat there all day but finally decided it might be hard to explain a
rear-end collision with no turn-offs in sight, and in a company car to boot.
Needless to say it made my day.  I was so excited I called Roger, who was
equally excited, as a soon as I got to Haysi where I had cell signal.

Hope everyone is having a great week,

Daryl Owens
Dismal River, VA