[bcbirdclub] Bad Day For the Birds

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "A Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:11:53 -0400

Hi All,
On Friday Lynda and I traveled to visit some friends about thirty miles
north-east of Charleston WV. That morning as we were traveling around Compton
Mt. two Towhees came zipping out of the bushes right into the path of our
vehicle. I hardly had time to blink. I turned around and went back to make sure
of the species. I had hit a male and female Towhee. The female was dead, but
the male seemed to just have the breath knocked out of him and looked as if he
might recover.
A couple of hours later on the other side of Charleston on Interstate 79 a
Brown Thrasher suddenly flew in front of our SUV and was instantly killed.
Before this incident I'm sure it had been at least ten years since I had had a
collision with a bird. It may be that the birds were distracted because of the
breeding season. It wouldn't be the first time that a guy got into trouble
because he was too busy watching a cute female.