[bcbirdclub] BC Bird Cub Outing - Saturday July 21st

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:53:14 -0400

Hi All,
On Saturday, July 21st the Buchanan County Bird Club will host a birding outing
at Beaver Knob near Elkhorn City, KY. Beaver Knob is a reclaimed strip site
that holds several bird species, including Grasshopper Sparrows, hawks,
sometimes Blue Grosbeaks, Bobwhites, Blue-winged and in the past, Golden-winged
Warblers.

Because of the heat we will go early. We will meet at the entrance of the
Breaks Park at 7:00 a.m. We will then drive to Beaver Knob (about a 15 - 20
minute drive). Those who want to come over a little later can follow the
directions below.

We will bird the area until lunch time. Sheldon Woods is bringing his grills,
and has agreed once again to be our chef. We will have hot dogs, chips and
baked beans. Each person must bring his/her own soft drinks and a chair. I am
bringing our canopy to provide shade. Sheldon is bringing one also. Hopefully
some of you could bring a side dish or a dessert to add to the meal.

We hope to see you there,
Roger Mayhorn

Directions to Beaver Knob

Coming out of the Breaks Park take a left (west) at the entrance onto Rt. 80.
Follow Rt 80 6.9 miles through Elkhorn City, KY. Continue on Rt. 80. From the
BP station on the left as you leave Elkhorn City you will travel .6 of a mile
to a junction with Rt 1373 on the right. Follow Rt. 1373 (Beaver Creek Road)
for 2.1 miles up the hollow to a fork in the road. You will be facing the
Little Beaver Church of Christ. Take the left fork and go 2.6 miles to the top
of the mountain. At the top of the mountain take the second road on the right.
It is .5 of a mile on a dirt road to the strip mine site near the top of the
mountain.