[bcbirdclub] Austin Springs (American Woodcock)

  • From: "Mike" <hawk036@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 13:10:41 -0500

            I went to Austin Springs today 11-08-2009 with Michele Sparks,
and Gary Cooper, Michele was kind enough to show us around the area, as me
or Gary had never been. The morning was a little chilly but it soon warmed
up to a nice temperature. I have to say that this area is extremely nice to
bird and from my understanding the Humphreys who own the property are kind
enough to allow birders on their property. We saw a variety of birds today
but the highlight had to be the Woodcocks we saw. As we were walking along
one of the small creeks on the property a bird flushed, and flew a short
distance and landed hidden from view. Gary was quick to ID the bird as an
American Woodcock, and as we tried to get a closer look, the bird flushed
again and flew to an adjacent field. The bird had the rapid zigzagging
flying pattern, and Gary heard the bird call as it took off. As we continued
on Gary decided to walk along the creek some more, we stopped for a second
to look at a bird when two more woodcocks flushed between Gary and Michele
and I. Gary had already walked by them and they flushed when we stopped to
check out the other birds we were looking at, I heard the birds call this
time, they flew in the same direction as the other woodcock. We attempted to
locate them but were unsuccessful. Even though we didn't see a lot of the
shore birds we were hoping to see it, was still a good day. The complete
list is below.

Mike Sanders

Bristol, VA

Sighting Record Listing - Austin Springs :: 11/8/2009 - 11/8/2009

Mallard Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 2 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Great Blue Heron Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 3 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Turkey Vulture Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 5 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Red-tailed Hawk Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 1 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

American Kestrel Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 1 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Killdeer Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 10 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

American Woodcock Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 3 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Mourning Dove Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 1 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Belted Kingfisher Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 1 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Red-bellied Woodpecker Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 1 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 1 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Downy Woodpecker Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 2 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Eastern Phoebe Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 2 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Blue Jay Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 2 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

American Crow Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 15 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Carolina Chickadee Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 4 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Tufted Titmouse Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 2 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Carolina Wren Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 4 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Eastern Bluebird Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 8 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

American Robin Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 20 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Northern Mockingbird Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 3 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

European Starling Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 125 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Cedar Waxwing Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 9 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Yellow-rumped Warbler Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 28 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Song Sparrow Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 13 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Swamp Sparrow Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 2 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

White-throated Sparrow Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 3 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Eastern Meadowlark Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 1 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Rusty Blackbird Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 5 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

American Goldfinch Austin Springs TN US Nov 8, 2009

= 5 = /TM Michele Sparks Gary Cooper

Printed November 8, 2009 ~ MIKE data set ~ 30 records