[bcbirdclub] Apples and Deer

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 17:53:31 -0500

Hi All,
Since this listserve deals with all forms of nature, take a look at these
apples Lynda and I unwrapped today. We got these from one of our trees in
October, wrapped them and put them in a cardboard box in a cool room. I've been
taking one or two out every now and then to eat. I don't know what these are
called. The tree was already a mature tree when we moved here in 1972. These
apples don't grow very large, but there are lots of them, and they last until
spring. In past years I have sometimes had to remove some of them from the yard
in March before I mow the grass for the first time. The deer make regular trips
to the yard to dig them out of the snow.

The few winters when we have been lucky enough to have mockingbirds overwinter,
they also feed on them.